Tuesday, April 21, 2015
Want Your Kid to Love to Read?
Although I am an author, I am first and foremost a reader. As a kid, I got hooked on reading by the Nancy Drew series. Do you have a child that you wish would love to read? Maybe they just need the right book.
I am currently reading books from R.L. Stine's Goosebumps series to my class. They groan when I stop reading, are checking them out from our school library, and buying them at bookstores. The two I've read so far are The Haunted School, and Beware the Snowman. Although I know this series has been around for about twenty years, this is my first experience with them. They are WONDERFUL! R.L. Stine gets what intrigues children.
Over the years I've taught a lot of different grades at the Elementary School level. Here are a few crowd pleasers:
1st-2nd grade: The Judy B. Jones series, Magic Treehouse series, Flat Stanley series
2nd - 3rd grade: The Captain Underpants Series (Note: Some parents have a problem with this series because it's full of potty humor. However, if you can appreciate the sheer joy that young boys get from words like: farts, burps, boogers, poopy, stinky, underwear, etc., they LOVE this series.)
2nd - 5th grade: Judy Blume's Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing (My brother and I read this one summer as kids and laughed hysterically.) Superfudge, Freckle Juice, etc. Judy Blume has a fantastic sense of humor.
Roahld Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator
5th-6th grades: Rick Riordan's :Percy Jackson and the Olympians series
Jennifer Nielsen's The False Prince series
If you have any books your own children have loved, please leave me a comment!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Michael Vie stuff and "The Rebel Princess" by Janice Sperry. I have two fourth grade grandchildren who read Harry Potter books. It amazes me.
ReplyDeleteJames Dashner's THE JIMMY FINCHER SERIES; Chris Heimerdinger's TENNIS SHOES ADVENTURE SERIES. Both excellent!
ReplyDelete